Sleep apnea is a dangerous condition in which a person is unable to breathe effectively while sleeping. Sleep apnea often causes the person to wake up, perhaps many times over the course of the night without them being aware of it. The exact cause of sleep apnea could be from an obstructed airway or a damaged signal not properly being relayed from the brain. You might be prone to suffering from sleep apnea if you experience the following conditions:
– If you are too heavy, you are at an increased risk for sleep apnea.
– Your body’s position as you snooze could affect your risk for obstructed airways and sleep apnea.
– Large tonsils, susceptible genetics, a deviated septum, and various allergies are all hazards for sleep apnea that you may have no control over.
– If you suffer from a temporomandibular disorder, also called TMD, you may be at an increased risk for sleep apnea.
– Sleep apnea is most commonly seen in men over the age of 40.
– Sleep apnea is generally spotted in individuals who snore while asleep.
If left untreated, sleep apnea can cause or increase your risk for diabetes, ADD, ADHD, mood swings, depression, high blood pressure, strokes, heart attacks, and even death. If you have the signs of sleep apnea and would like relief, please call 208-888-3311 to schedule a visit with Dr. John McMurray or Dr. Brad Williams. Our Legacy Smiles Family Dental team in Meridian, Idaho, looks forward to helping you have the quality of sleep you deserve!